I had an ADSL connection from Mandrake 10.1 (now 10.2), and I would
often unplug the RJ45 overnight if the firewall was down.
I'd plug it in the following morning and all would be fine.
If Kaj's ideas don't help, I suspect you are going to need to provide
more information about your modem and ISP....

Hugh