Hugh Dixon wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: SOTL [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Friday, 25 February 2005 12:54 AM
To: Mandrake Newbie
Subject: [newbie] Resumption of DSL Connection

Hi All

I have Mandrake 10.1 using an eathernet RJ45 DSL input.

If I am connected to the internet and the RJ45 plug is unplugged and plugged back in I loose my Internet connect and the ability to reconnect to the internet.

The only method I have found yet to restore an internet connection is to do a system upgrade or reinstall the system. Now since this is a test box with no critical data on it the only issue with that box is the inconvenience of restoration which is becoming a pain. If of course this was a box with critical data on it the issue would be more dynamic.

Question is there some other method to reestablish an internet connection besides reinstallation. Note going to internet set up and reconfiguring does not produce positive results of reestablishing an internet connection.

Thanks
Frank

I had an ADSL connection from Mandrake 10.1 (now 10.2), and I would often unplug the RJ45 overnight if the firewall was down. I'd plug it in the following morning and all would be fine. If Kaj's ideas don't help, I suspect you are going to need to provide more information about your modem and ISP....

Hugh

It might be a bit more work if he is using something like PPPoE or PPPoA to connect. But doing a network restart should handle that. It should also handle NICs that don't report connection status.
ifplugd doesn't work too well without that.

Mikkel