> On Monday 28 February 2005 09:26 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Julie Sloan wrote:
>> >
>> > What about it?

          snip

> Linux was harder, no question about it.

> I had zero computer experience before my six years of win95 & 98.  I was
> so
> illiterate in 1998 that I had to use the manual to learn how to power my
> first computer (a Tosh laptop) on!
>
> In win I already knew the internal structure and file system.  I knew
> about
> tools like the disc defragmenter, and several different ways to navigate
> the file system, and stupid tricks
>
> [...like changing file names -- do you know, in windows, you can't "move,"
> that is to say, "drag and drop" a file with the .exe extension?  When you
> try, you end up with a shortcut to the original location.  The stupid
> trick is to rename the file, ie take away the extension, then move it,
> then
> restore its original name.  That's a stupid trick.

** An easier trick is to right click, drag, and then select move from the
menu

>I learned dozens of
> those by breaking things, which is probaby why I have friends calling my
> up
> to troubleshoot for them.]
>
> The best advice came from page 17 of my Tosh manual (yes, I remember
> this  ;-)  ), which paraphrased, is, "don't be afraid of it.  Its just a
> machine.  Chances are you can't mess it up too badly."  At that point I

            snip

As someone who once upon a time did full-time tech support for Windows 95
& 98, believe me, you can do as much damage in 95/98 as an ordinary user
as you can as su in Linux, but 95/98 requires a lot less effort to do so.
With Linux you have to BECOME su to start breaking things - you have to
make the little bit of extra effort to log on as su. Anyone, at any time
can break 95/98 and on too many XP Home machines the same is also true,
since it seems, at least for many of the people that I know, they run
their XP machines using the administrator account. There is nothing to
stop you from doing the same in Linux, but at least Mandrake will warn you
when you start KDE that it is a bad idea.

LeRoy