On Tuesday 01 Mar 2005 00:41, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 28 Feb 2005 11:11, SnapafunFrank wrote:
> > Bottom line, use the apps that work in Linux for now and stick to
> > configuring one preferred app at a time. You get to learn Linux and end
> > up with the exact app you want.

> I remember that when I first started I found that this was the best advice.
> The trouble is that the latest and greatest can really be a pain when you
> are still learning.  I found that to stick to the apps that Mandrake gave
> me - apart from plf xine packages etc - was the best philosophy.  I still
> mainly do, though not entirely these days.

Yes I think that's good advice.

> I think you have been a bit unfortunate, too with some of your hardware.
> Most of mine worked from the box, but my first efforts at linux were
> stymied when my printer could not be made to work and I could not afford to
> change it. Things are much better now, drivers are available for many more
> things, but there are still some that may never be workable.

I'm reasonably confident I'll get the camera going sometime.  Haven't actually
tried, apart from the hardrake which said it is unsupported.  I have found a
site which lists some drivers for that camera, just haven't done anything
about it.  Not a big issue as can back photos up on CDs in windows and play
with them in Mandrake.  I was lucky that my printer worked right off, and
when I tried linux two years ago a LUG person got my printer going then.

> Don't get depressed.  Work a little in both worlds until you feel most
> things are working, then you should be able to spend increasing time in the
> linux world.
Already I am working mostly in linux.  I will need to keep windows for Family
Tree stuff anyway.

> Anne

Thanks
Rosemary