On Monday 28 February 2005 09:26 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Julie Sloan wrote:
> > On Monday 28 February 2005 12:06 pm, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >>Now, what I would like to see sometime is changing from Windows 98 to
> >> XP compaired to changing from 98 to Linux...
> >
> > What about it?
> >
> > I went from 98 to XP last summer, and learned my way around XP while I
> > was waiting for my linux CDs to arrive.
> >
> > Now I make a little "pin money" troubleshooting XP systems in my
> > neighborhood, but the only time *this* *here* computer boots into
> > Window$ is when I need to print something.  That was today, and  ...two
> > or three weeks ago, I'd guess.
> >
> > Julie
>
> Was it harder adapting to XP, or Linux?

Linux was harder, no question about it.

I had zero computer experience before my six years of win95 & 98.  I was so
illiterate in 1998 that I had to use the manual to learn how to power my
first computer (a Tosh laptop) on!

In win I already knew the internal structure and file system.  I knew about
tools like the disc defragmenter, and several different ways to navigate
the file system, and stupid tricks

[...like changing file names -- do you know, in windows, you can't "move,"
that is to say, "drag and drop" a file with the .exe extension?  When you
try, you end up with a shortcut to the original location.  The stupid
trick is to rename the file, ie take away the extension, then move it, then
restore its original name.  That's a stupid trick.   I learned dozens of
those by breaking things, which is probaby why I have friends calling my up
to troubleshoot for them.]

The best advice came from page 17 of my Tosh manual (yes, I remember
this  ;-)  ), which paraphrased, is, "don't be afraid of it.  Its just a
machine.  Chances are you can't mess it up too badly."  At that point I put
away the manual and started breaking things.

And this is my handicap in migrating to linux.  In the CL as su you CAN mess
it up too badly, and I just don't have the internal discipline to wait
until I know what I'm doing to go there.  Which is why I'm on my fourth
reinstall.  ;-)  But I'm having fun, and each time I know a little more.
Every day I say to myself (about something different each time), "well, I
won't do THAT again."

Julie