Thanks Kasper
Dennis "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
Registered Linux User #382526
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kasper Thunoe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <newbie@linux-mandrake.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Antivirus for 10.1

<snip>

How necessary is virus protection in linux - keep getting conflicting info
about this?

Thanks
Rosemary

</snip>

Depends on how much you interact with windows :) There are "viruses" for
linux which mostly come in the form of rootkits. This is more a backdoor
than it is a virus, and the attacker would need to have access on a
superuser level. Some claim to have made linux worms which is more
virus-like, but the chance of running on to one of those is slim to
none.
The best one can do is to keep ones system up to date, especially if you
allow external access (ssh, ftp, www etc.), and delete mail from people
you dont know.

For my part I dualboot and have other windows machines in my home
network so I use antivirus (clamav) on linux as a precaution, and to
check mails.

Hope that gives you an idea.

/Kasper