Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

On Friday 04 Mar 2005 21:09, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

On Friday 04 Mar 2005 01:23, riccardo wrote:

On Thursday 03 March 2005 12:01 pm, Christopher Taylor wrote:

nice not to have to re-install and loose all the data.

_________________

~ guess it is un-neccessary to lose any Data . . . ever  :-O

. . . have CRON Daemon do frequent backups of /home directory, using
RSYNC script  . . . like :-
_______________

#!/bin/sh # # use rsync to backup /home to /dev/hda6 # mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda6 /mnt # df cd rsync -avr --delete --delete-after /home /mnt df umount /mnt cd

best rgds
________

Just copy and paste that into shell using an editor?

Thanks
Rosemary

Further question. Have been looking at cron directories (I think anyway!). Have a long list of /etc/rc or etc/cron.daily /etc/cron.hourly and so on.

With regard to the above script - do I navigate to the appropriate line eg /etc/cron.daily then insert the script?

I know this sounds basic to experienced users, but it is like speaking a foreign language to me.

Thanks
Rosemary

I missed this one Rosemary... Did you get it sorted or would you care for an instructing for vim ?

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213