On Saturday 05 March 2005 10:52, Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks, Bryan. I am planning to make my backups to my hard disk and,
> from time to time, I will save them to CDs. However, I fear that a
> backup file may be bigger than the storage capacity of a CD. So, I
> would like to ask whether there exists a way of circumvent this
> difficulty.

That is fairly easy, make backups the normal way you would to a hard drive.
Then, use an archive program like zip to create an archive of the backup but
tell it to keep the file sizes at 600MB or so and span the archive.  That
will create multiple files small enough to fit on CD.  Then, you simpy burn
each file to a CD.

Of course, this takes space on a hd to do and with DVD burners hitting about
$60-80 for dual mode models, I can't see any reason to accept that limitation
when you can spend $100, get a DVD burner with a couple of +RW media and burn
4.6 gb of files to a single disk.

And, if you have more than 4.6 gb of data in your home directory, let me be
the first to suggest that you might consider figuring out how much you do or
don't need regularly and archiving some of it to permanent storage.

--
Bryan Phinney