On Tuesday 08 March 2005 14:44, Christopher Taylor wrote:
> I currently have a Lynksys Router setup to handle the DHCP on a
> 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 network.  The computers are setup with
> 192.168.4.1 (the address of the router) as the gateway.  I tried
> setting up DHCP on Mandrake and disabled on the router.  The Mandrake
> box could access the internet, but the remaining Windows boxes could
> not.  The gateway on the Windows boxes was set to 192.168.4.111 which
> is the static IP of the Mandrake box.  I tries setting up the Mandrake
> box as a proxy (I've been using drakwizard to set these up) using
> squid, but the the Windows box still could not access the internet.  I
> did change the proxy settings on the Windows box to use ip
> 192.168.4.111 and the port suggested by drakwizard.  What is it that I
> need to do?  My goal is to have everything routed through the Mandrake
> box under one firewall.  Eventually I would like to expose the server
> to the outside world (using dynamic dhcp) so that I can do some remote
> access when I travel (ftp mainly).  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

The gateway is the box that is physically connected to the internet. That is
still your Linksys, so you must set 192.168.4.1 as the gateway address
regardless which box is the DHCP server. (I assume the Windows boxes are also
on the 192.168.4 subnet)

If you are using Squid proxy, then the Windows clients will not need the
Linksys as a gateway for browsing, but the Windows clients must be configured
to use a proxy on 192.168.4.111 port 3128 If you still have problems check
you do not have a firewall on the Linux box blocking access to the proxy.

BTW: You could keep the Linksys but set it up to do port forwarding to the
Linux box for your remote access.  Your Linksys manual will describe port
forwarding. You can still use dynamic DNS (which is what I assume you mean by
"dynamic dhcp") by using ddclient to update dynamic DNS servers with the
external IP address of the Linksys.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net