On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:08:56 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Christopher Taylor wrote:
> > I currently have a Lynksys Router setup to handle the DHCP on a
> > 192.168.4.0/255.255.255.0 network.  The computers are setup with
> > 192.168.4.1 (the address of the router) as the gateway.  I tried
> > setting up DHCP on Mandrake and disabled on the router.  The Mandrake
> > box could access the internet, but the remaining Windows boxes could
> > not.  The gateway on the Windows boxes was set to 192.168.4.111 which
> > is the static IP of the Mandrake box.  I tries setting up the Mandrake
> > box as a proxy (I've been using drakwizard to set these up) using
> > squid, but the the Windows box still could not access the internet.  I
> > did change the proxy settings on the Windows box to use ip
> > 192.168.4.111 and the port suggested by drakwizard.  What is it that I
> > need to do?  My goal is to have everything routed through the Mandrake
> > box under one firewall.  Eventually I would like to expose the server
> > to the outside world (using dynamic dhcp) so that I can do some remote
> > access when I travel (ftp mainly).  Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >

> UNless you are planning on setting up a proxy server on the Linux box,
> set the gateway setting in the dhcpd config to the address of the
> Linksys box. (192.168.0.1) You will also want to set the name server
> address (DNS). You may want to consider running a name server on the
> Linux box, and having the Windows machines use that. This offers a
> couple of advantages. You can also have it manage the IP addresses for
> the local netowork. It can also save haing to go to the Internet to look
> up the names of common sites. This can make getting to the sites faster.
> You only have to go to the Internet for the first machine that visits
> the site. A second machine on the locak network visiting the site gets
> the address that is stored on the Linux machine.
>
> If you are interested, I will look in my notes for the name of the one I
> used to use. It had nice features like reading the dhcp lease file, and
> adding the machines from there to its database dynamicly.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

Mikkel,

My ISP is Verizon Online.  I will have to check to see if they are
blocking, but I don't think so as you will see below.  The Westell
modem is also a router with one port. I tried having the modem
handling the PPoE and the router set to a static IP in the range of
the subnet specified by the modem.The router modem was set with port
forwarding to the router and the router was set with port forwarding
to the linux box (also a static ip on the subnet). At this point I
could ping the assigned dynamic IP (I use http://www.dnsstuff.com).
The Linksys router showed nothing in its incoming logs.  The Windows
boxes could access internet sites by IP only.  The name lookup was no
longer working.  The linux box was fine.  This was when the Linksys
rep said that the modem had to be in bridge mode.  Once put into
bridge mode, I could no longer ping the assigned IP, but the Windows
boxes could access the named sites.  The router is now handling the
PPoE and DHCP.

My goal is to have the linux box control the other boxes.  I think
that you are right in that I need to set up DNS.  There is a setup for
that in drakwizard, but I do not know what to do with it.  I believe
that it asked me to change the hostname.  I explore more when I get
home.

Thanks for the help everyone.

--
Christopher Taylor - Registered Linux User #383327