On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:38, Dennis Myers wrote:
> I have a new HP zv5360us laptop, NTFS partition with Windows XP  on it.
> When I try to install Mandrake 10.1 It refuses to resize the windows
> partition. Am I going about this wrong. I know linux will run on it as
> pclinuxonline cd runs ok. I just can't get an xfs partition set up. Any
> ideas? TIA,
>
> Dennis M. linux user #180842

Mandrakes resizing is very conservative, it will not risk moving files around,
which sometimes means it can't resize enough.  Try
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html for a free trial (last time I
checked) resize tool that does a more agressive job by moving files.

Note also HP usually has an extra partition at the start of the disk for
Windows restore, don't delete it unless you are sure you have a Windows CD
you can re-install from (cause we all know that you'll have to eventually :-)

John.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
  USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
  UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
  Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
  NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205