On Thursday 10 March 2005 07:13 pm, Mr. Geek wrote:
> However, if your hard drive is already partitioned, they only use which
> ever partition is first on the drive.

> The nice thing is that the restore or full install methods won't do
> anything to your Master Boot Record, since Windows detects that the
> Master Boot Record is already in use. Lilo is already installed there.
> That means that the next time you boot the laptop, Lilo will still be
> there, and will only show you the Mandrake-Linux option.

Yes, I experimented with my Acer TM802 too (I had to reinstall and format the
drive several time cause of mistakes). Not every recovery CD will allow you
to resize the partition though. In case of Acer, they allow it, so it makes
thing easier. And it will not destroy the Lilo. Lol, I once wanted to send my
notebook to the service center, but afraid that the guarantee would be void
if they know I installed linux.

> No problem. That's exactly what should be there. Once you've booted back
> into Linux, start up your Mandrake Control Center (a.k.a. MCC), and add
> the 10Gb Windows partition by creating a mount point for it. You're not
> obligated to use the Mandrake default mount-point, so feel free to be
> creative. Just don't mount it inside the "/root" home folder!
>Windows will not format the remaining space as FAT32.
>
> But Mandrake will! Leave it to Linux to solve a Microsoft problem! LOL!

Yes, linux is certainly very friendly :)

> By using Linux to format your remaining space as FAT32, you'll be able
> to access it from Mandrake AND from Windows without any problems. Once
> that's partitioned, formatted and mounted in MCC, remember to update
> Lilo as well. That way, Windows will be added to your boot list in Lilo.

This is a good practice indeed. I have my D drive in windows as FAT32.

Thanks Mr. Geek. Your explanation is crystal clear.
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
22:00:30 up 57 min, Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586