On Thursday 10 March 2005 06:13 am, Mr. Geek wrote:
> Dennis Myers wrote:
> > I have a new HP zv5360us laptop, NTFS partition with Windows XP  on it.
> > When I try to install Mandrake 10.1 It refuses to resize the windows
> > partition. Am I going about this wrong. I know linux will run on it as
> > pclinuxonline cd runs ok. I just can't get an xfs partition set up. Any
> > ideas? TIA,
> >
> > Dennis M. linux user #180842
>
> Dennis; I have the HP ZD7000 laptop, so I have an idea of what you're
> going through. Your laptop should have included a set of CD's from HP
> which include WindowsXP.
>
> I tried setting mine up the same way you're doing, but it was a major
> PITA to do, and I wasn't very happy with the final results. Assuming
> that you don't want to have any more hassles with Windows than you're
> rightfully entitled to (Grin!), I'd strongly recommend that you save
> whatever data might be important and start from scratch.
>
> If you didn't receive the CD pack with your laptop, you should be able
> to burn a copy of the stored "Rescue Images" that are currently on the
> hard drive, and I would suggest you burn a copy of them a.s.a.p.! Since
> you don't know what might happen with the laptop down the road, it would
> be a smart idea to have a copy of the WindowsXP images in case your hard
> drive dies on you.
>
> After several attempts to get my unit working to my satisfaction, I
> re-partitioned my hard drive, losing Windows in the process. Starting
> with a fresh installation of our favourite OS, I installed Mandrake  as
> my second OS by creating a blank partition (roughly 10GB's) as the first
>   partition and leaving it alone, then I continued with a normal
> Mandrake setup. When I got to the section of the Mandrake install
> concerning Lilo, I had it install itself to the Master Boot Record on
> "/hda".
>
> The "/" (root) partition was set to 6 GB's (ReiserFS), then came a Swap
> partition (about 800 MB's), and a "/home" partition of 2 GB's was also
> set as ReiserFS. Even taking into account the fact that my laptop has an
> 80 Gb drive, I left my Mandrake partitions that small.
>
> The remainder of the hard drive was left blank (for the time being).
>
> Many of the big PC companies (HP, Compaq, Dell, IBM, etc.) like to
> provide you with "Quick Restore" CD's or images (stored on your
> harddrive), but in many cases those images are specially modified images
> that include Windows and any third-party software that they've arranged
> to include.
>
> These aren't the pre-installation versions like you'd find on a retail
> CD. They're a post-installation version which was created by HP or
> whoever. In essence, they perform a full install of Windows, MS Office
> or MS Works, etc., on one master hard drive, then they create an image
> of that master install and copy it to thousands of PC's or laptops.
>
> Those Quick-Restore images are similar to a Norton Ghost image and when
> [...]
I was nervous about reformatting not knowing what the restore disk was capable
of.  I have a 40 gig hd and used 20 of it for linux and the first 20 for
windows. I Will eventually wipe out windows but for now I want to have a look
at XP to see what is changed from 2000. Your explanation was excellent. I
could never figure out how to install on the back side of the disk and leave
the front for windows, now I know, thank you. Let you all know how it comes
out.  Thanks for all the input everyone.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842