I understand that devfs and udev ought not be running at the same time, but how do I stop devfs ?

Within MCC I have stopped devfsd and unchecked it re boot up at start up, but still it runs.

Question: I'm not even sure if devfsd and devfs are the same thing ~ anyone ?

Here's what I see using:

$ top
<...snip...>
 214 root      15   0  1872  624 1424 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.99 devfsd
 282 root       6 -10    80    0   12 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.07 udevd
<...snip...>

Are all the above statements correct ?

If so, then how do I turn devfs off and have it stay off through reboots ? ( It must be a simple edit of some file but I'm unaware of which one.)

And of course the 'insight' question. Any ideas of the effect of leaving devfs turned off ?

The current actually working is that I can plug in a flash drive - wait a moment - and the files become accessible to and from it. That is sometimes! At other times I'm sure I'm doing damage because the device appears to be unmounted and will not have the files seen, but when I do mount it manually, root can see the files but user cannot, making me think at times that I have wiped the flash drive. Further, the Howto's I followed allowed me to have any device I plugged in recognized for what it is within /mnt - but that has never worked since the first reboot though all the files appear to be in place. The very first time I tried to test my work, this actually did work, and often whilst I was within that session.

( I used the

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Flash-Memory-HOWTO.html#linux-2.6

to install udev - it's quite conclusive.)

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213