frengoGorgia wrote:

Il lun, 2005-03-14 alle 11:23, SnapafunFrank ha scritto:

Er.... I tried reading man: fstab and that made no sense, searched for 'fstab howto' and 'fstab samples' and only got ".... enter into fstab the following ...." so does anyone know of any online howto ~ explanations of the /etc/fstab file ?

try looking first to man mount

later to

http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/resources/howtos/mounting/

http://esm2.imt-mrs.fr/~staffelb/guide_linux/part1/fstab.html

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugaccessfilesys.html

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_MS_Windows_partitions_(FAT,NTFS)

For now, the following appear to be totally different and is tying me up in knots. What do you understand about the following two entries taken from /etc/fstab :

/udev/16MB1 /mnt/16MB auto umask=0,user,vfat,ext2,noauto,rw,exec 0 0

none /mnt/removable supermount dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,nosuid,nodev,kudzu 0 0

To me the file types are different syntax ~ which way is correct ? or better ? [ vfat,ext2, or fs=auto ( or as above fs=ext2:vfat ) ]
I thought that " none " meant that that dev was a swap partition ~ obviously not ~ need this explained.

"none" tells to "mount" command , to not read to a device(superblock number) , which in swap and supermount case is not needed to read.

Should I be using 'supermount' ?
If "umask=0" sets things to 777 then why is "user" also included ?
And the real confusing one ~ In the same line of syntax I see 'auto' ~ 'noauto' ~ 'exec' ? Should this not be 'auto' ~ 'noexec' and 'noauto' removed to allow PnP with Linux ?

first "auto" statement is related to filesystem-type stuff,

"noauto(auto)" is a "mount "command parameter ,means that device will
not be mounted at boot time (or when mount -a is called) , but device only be mounted explicitly (on the command line for example)

"noexec(exec)" is a "mount "command parameter, Do not allow execution of any binaries on the mounted file system.

Thanks frengoGorgia, very informative, I've got some reading to do.

Couple of questions to clear things a little:

If I want hotplug to work do I still use " none " and/or " supermount " ?
Am I correct in assuming that I must remove " noauto " if I expect the system to mount a device upon connecting the device, ( as in hotpluging )?
Again an assumption, " noexec " can be considered a security device because it would not allow autorun of inserted media, nor allow an user to use such ?

If the answers to these questions are within the links you have supplied then ignore these questions as I'm now off to read them.

Again, thanks, greatly appreciated.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213