Il lun, 2005-03-14 alle 11:23, SnapafunFrank ha scritto:

> Er.... I tried reading man: fstab and that made no sense, searched for
> 'fstab howto' and 'fstab samples' and only got ".... enter into fstab
> the following ...." so does anyone know of any online howto ~
> explanations of the /etc/fstab file ?
try looking first to
man mount

later to

http://www.linuxvoodoo.org/resources/howtos/mounting/

http://esm2.imt-mrs.fr/~staffelb/guide_linux/part1/fstab.html

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugaccessfilesys.html

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mount_MS_Windows_partitions_(FAT,NTFS)

> For now, the following appear to be totally different and is tying me up
> in knots. What do you understand about the following two entries taken
> from /etc/fstab :
>
> /udev/16MB1 /mnt/16MB auto umask=0,user,vfat,ext2,noauto,rw,exec 0 0
>
> none /mnt/removable supermount
> dev=/dev/sda1,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,nosuid,nodev,kudzu
>
> 0 0
>
> To me the file types are different syntax ~ which way is correct ? or
> better ? [ vfat,ext2,  or  fs=auto ( or as above fs=ext2:vfat ) ]
> I thought that " none " meant that that dev was a swap partition ~
> obviously not ~ need this explained.

"none" tells to "mount" command , to not read to a device(superblock
number) , which in swap  and supermount case is not needed to read.

> Should I be using 'supermount' ?
> If "umask=0" sets things to 777 then why is "user" also included ?
> And the real confusing one ~ In the same line of syntax I see 'auto' ~
> 'noauto' ~ 'exec' ? Should this not be 'auto' ~ 'noexec' and 'noauto'
> removed to allow PnP with Linux ?

first "auto" statement is related to filesystem-type stuff,

"noauto(auto)" is a "mount "command parameter ,means that device will
not be mounted at boot time (or when mount -a is called) , but device
only be mounted explicitly (on the command line for example)

"noexec(exec)" is a "mount "command parameter, Do  not  allow
execution  of any binaries on the mounted file system.