On Tuesday 15 March 2005 11:21, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 March 2005 14:42, SOTL wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I have created a partition on one of my computer to store critical system
> > data files called /mnt/System_Data.
> >

> > I am trying to configure MySQL so that it will use /mnt/System_Data as
> > its default file storage.
> >
> > I looked for /etc/my.cnf; found I did not have one so I generated one.
> >
> > My /etc/my.cnf files contains exactly 1 line which is:
> > datadir=/mnt/System_Data
> >
> > When I start MySQL I now receive the following error message:
> >
> > Found option without preceding group in config file /etc/my.cnf at line
> > 1. Fatail error in default handling.
> > Program aborted.
> >
> > Would appreciate help in ascertaining what should be added or how current
> > should be modified.
> >
> > Frank
>
> It is failing because having created a /etc/my.cnf file it is expecting to
> find other parameters defined in there in addition to datadir
> (pid_file=,  basedir=/, bindir=/usr/bin )
>
> You could alternatively edit the datadir path in /etc/rc5.d/S90mysql  which
> is the script that starts mysql
>
> Alternatively if you create a symlink from /var/lib/mysql
> to /mnt/System_Data/mysql  then you would not need to change any
> configuration and your data would go in the folder you desire.
>
> BTW: In Linux /var is the default directory to hold data so why do you need
> to define a different one?
>
> derek

Well I changed the file to be
[MYSQL]
datadir=/mnt/System_Data
and I got:
Error unknown variable 'datadir=/mnt/System_Data'
which I did not understand.
So, I open another .cnf file and edited to be identical by changing name-X
within the [name-X] to [MYSQL] and then editing a linewith
datadir= /dir/dir/file-name
datadir=/mnt/System_Data

The final product was:
file =
/etc/my.cnf
with contents of
[MYSQL]
datadir=/mnt/System_Data

Then I tested it and it worked.

I would not bother people on this list with this but it is not the first time
it has happened. That is I type a configuration file check it re check it and
it refuse to function then copy and edit a file from some other location edit
it to where it is exact and I do mean exact equal the the one I created from
the keyboard and it function correctly.

Does anyone have any explanation why creating a new file from keyboard refuses
to work and editing and existing file  and saving it works?

Frank