Tom wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

Thanks again Mikkel, it's going to take some absorbing on my part to understand what you have said above, so for now I need to do that and correct my system accordingly.

Will let you know how I get on. Oh, and thanks for the link.

One minor correction, I'm still using MDK10, though I don't think this effects things here too much.

I'm waiting to get my Athlon 64 FX together before going to MDK10.1 as this old PIII system can only handle so much before it starts to get bogged down. This is the only issue I have at present ( pnp ) as the other things I need at present seem to be firing OK.

If you decide to share you endeavours once done then please include me in your notifications as I'm very interested in the outcome. For now, good sailing.

I can understand more of your troubles now - adding udev to 10.0 instead of upgrading to 10.1. I am not sure how much of what I posted applies to what you are doing. In any case, it should be a learning experence on your part. As for may adventures, they will make it to the " The Mandrake Community Wiki" site once I have them in shape to post. But if I keep getting other projects to work on, I may have to post it in parts, as a work in progress. The only bad part about that is that I may send people down a wrong path as I lear this myself...

Mikkel

   Here's what I posted to 'expert' ML a few days ago

  With an upgrade from a devfs system to one that uses udev ;
While running the new (udev) system

urpme devfs
urpmi udev

edit lilo.conf and remove _any_ devfs= statement. devfs=nomount is
  only valid if devfs is installed, an you need to remove devfs
  before installing udev

OK - I don't doubt anything you have said here except this one point MAYBE?

I have not seen a 'Blue Screen Of Death' since I left windows ! ~ that is until I rebooted after doing the above.

To get things back online I had to edit lilo and INCLUDE : " devfs=nomount " to be able to start up as init5 again.

Sooo..... my logic says that whatever the scripts are for booting my system, they contain therein the requirement to run devfs.

Though I uninstalled devfs, something else has to be reconfigured so as to amend the start up scripts.

Any idea what?

lilo

in a term, su to root and run 'mcc' Under System | Services, scoll down an make sure udev is running (if not start it), and that it is checked to start at boot.

Done, but you can be dbl-sure by running
# service udev status
udev is running                                          [  OK  ]

> BTW does anyone know where to find these parameters you can pass to the kernel at boot time ?

You'll need source for the kernel installed, then you'll find /usr/src/linux-2.6.11-2mdk/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt ^^^ your kernel version is probly different

Give the whole file a thoro read. All valid parameters and options for them are listed. EG, acpi=on .... 'on' is either an undocumented or invalid parameter option

acpi= [HW,ACPI] Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
Format: { force | off | ht | strict }
These are the only valid options for the parameter acpi=

Now if anything is added to the Community twiki (rather than the _real_ twiki http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/wiki) it should emphatically note that it's only opinions an might be valid for past or current Mdk versions. 10.2 will add HAL, messagebus (dbus), an even gnome-volume-manager, more advanced kernels, et all into the mix that will mostly obsolete current an past advice an opinions.

IMO, the real twiki, the cooker ML archive, an Bugzilla are the best sources for accurate descriptions of problems, an possible solutions.

-- Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213