Hello,

        I recently discovered that there was a solution to the fact the alt
key to the right of the space bar wouldn't work (thanks to the bug
hunters working with Mandrake).  Well, make that half solution....

        If one goes to Start (sorry, I don't know what else to call the Icon
on the left of the panel) > System > Configuration > KDE >
Accessibility > Keyboard Layout, selects the Xkb Options tab, then
scrolls down to Alt/Win key behavior, and chooses "Alt and Meta on
the Alt keys (default), the problem disappears... until one reboots
(downer).  Alternatively, one can enter the following on the command
line:

setxkbmap -option altwin:meta_alt

with similar results.  I tried to put this command in /etc/rc.local,
but nothing happens.  Many thanks to someone who can tell me where to
put this command (sunlit choices only need apply) so that it will
automatically be executed upon kde startup, hopefully without needing
to recompile anything, but anything that is required.

With an advance of thanks,
        James Henry Maiewski
        20 Plain Road East
        South Deerfield, Massachusetts