On Thursday 17 March 2005 05:12 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 10:48, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 Mar 2005 09:38, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > > I've just got my hands on a 160 GB external USB hard disk.
> > > Now, this thing comes preformatted with a FAT32 (vfat) file
> > > system. When I unmount the thing I can't reformat the drive
> > > with a decent file system like ReiserFS, JFS, ext2 or ext3 from
> > > be it the MCC or by hand.  I can't even re-partition it with
> > > FAT32 ?
> > >
> > > So here it goes :  will this FAT32 file system become
> > > fragmented over time like any other Windows file system ?
> > >
> > > If yes, how to defrag it ?
> > >
> > > Or, will I have to move the FS to another drive back-and-forth
> > > in order to defrag ?
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Kaj Haulrich.
> >
> > Kaj, if you have a windows boot disk, use fdisk to completely
> > remove the partition, then let MCC deal with it.  I've never used
> > the linux fdisk, but I would have thought you could do the same
> > with that.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Thanks, Anne.  But..eh.. I don't have Windows disk, and even if I
> had, how could I get in into the external drive ?
>
> The linux fdisk utility won't let me do anything on the drive.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.
Kaj, I know this might sound dumb, but have you tried diskdrake? disk drake
seems to me to be a damn well configured partittion manager tool. I never
have tried to reformat a USB connected drive with it, but I would ex[ect it
to handle it well.
--
linux counter #167806 (http://counter.li.org/)
website="http://ed-tharp.kicks-ass.org";