On Saturday 19 March 2005 01:20, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> >>One problem you run into with the tools from the drive
> >>manfacturer is that most of them do not enable USB support, so
> >>they will not even see the drive. This will hopefully change as
> >>externel USB and Firewire drives become more popular, but for
> >>now, you just about have to create a special boot disk if you
> >>want to work on something other then a IDE of SCSI drive.
> >>(OpenDOS has some nice boot disks...)
> >>
> >>Mikkel
> >
> > Thanks Mikkel, but you see I just don't have a Windows boot
> > disk. Neither have my daughter, who has a WinXP box.  I tried
> > to figure out a way to let her Windows (DOS) format the
> > external harddisk, but gave it up, 'cause there is no point in
> > it : I still can't get a decent file system on it, no matter
> > what.  Maybe NTFS is usable but then I can't write to it from
> > my Linux box, the whole idea being to use it as a transport
> > medium and backup between the two boxes.
> >
> > Well, I can still use my camera for transport....
> >
> > Kaj haulrich.
>
> The tools from the drive manfacturer are their own boot disk. You
> usualy download a program that creates the floppy. Then boot with
> the floppy. Or, if you don't like having the larger collection of
> floppies, you download the Ultimate Boot CD from
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and boot with that when you need
> the tools.
>
> Mikkel

Good heavens, Mikkel.  How did you find that ?

I'll dive into it ASAP.

Now, just don't let us get carried away : I wanted some method to
defrag this crappy Microsoft FAT32 file system.  WindowsXP can't do
it.  Neither can Linux.  So, I figured that backing up the entire
content, re-formatting and restoring might be the way to go.

But as the file system seems to be "hard coded", and I know that
Linux can "fix anything", I'll download your Floppy-CD, lean back
and watch the battle....

Have a nice week-end...

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free workstation*
        *Running Linux Mandrake 10.1*