James Henry Maiewski wrote:
Hello,

I downloaded kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm to see what I could see, but when I try to install it, it says "everything already installed." If these are supposed to go in /usr(/local)/src they are empty. How is the installation of .src.rpm files supposed to work?

With an advance of thanks,
        James Henry Maiewski

src.rpm's are not to be installed (tho they can be). You can compile the rpms contained in the src.rpm by doin (as root)

   'rpm --rebuild kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm'

the resulting rpms will then be found in
  /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/

   Another example;

 'rpm --rebuild --target athlon kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm'

will compile the rpms, athlon optimized, and place them in
   /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/

The src.rpm will build _all_ the rpms contained in the src.rpm. So if you only want to upgrade only kdeutils rpms you already have installed, cd to one of the above directories and use

   'rpm -Fvh *.rpm'   ('F' being the important bit)

    (this assumes you only have kdeutils* rpms in the dir)

If dependencies are needed, rpm -Fvh, will stop without installing an display a list of what's needed.
--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas