Greg Meyer wrote:
On Saturday 19 March 2005 10:05 am, Tom wrote:

James Henry Maiewski wrote:

Hello,

        I downloaded kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm to see what I could
see, but when I try to install it, it says "everything already
installed."  If these are supposed to go in /usr(/local)/src they are
empty.  How is the installation of .src.rpm files supposed to work?

With an advance of thanks,
        James Henry Maiewski

src.rpm's are not to be installed (tho they can be). You can compile the rpms contained in the src.rpm by doin (as root)

   'rpm --rebuild kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm'

Not to be too picky, but technically, rpm is deprecated and rpmbuild --rebuild is preferred because it has been split into separate packages.

    hmmm... tell me more.

# rpm --rebuild mplayer-fonts-1.0-10mdk.src.rpm
  ... <snip> ...
Wrote: /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/noarch/mplayer-fonts-1.0-10mdk.noarch.rpm
Executing(%clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.1910
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd mplayer-fonts-1.0
+ rm -rf /var/tmp/mplayer-fonts-buildroot
+ exit 0
Executing(--clean): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.1910
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf mplayer-fonts-1.0
+ exit 0

# rpm -Uvh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/noarch/mplayer-fonts-1.0-10mdk.noarch.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:mplayer-fonts ########################################### [100%]

 Are you sugesting I should'a used 'rpmbuild --rebuild mpla<Tab>' ?

  FWIW, the system is as current as can be (cooker 10.2)
2.6.11-2mdkK74 preempt K7 gcc-3.4  (rpm-build-4.2.3-9mdk)

the resulting rpms will then be found in
  /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/

Just as a general rule it is not a good idea to compile src.rpms as root, because if the buildroot variable is not set, the package will actually get installed on your machine, so as a habit, it is safer to setup the RPM dir in ~/ and build as user. Mandrake is very good about this, but occasionally you get a 3rd party packager that forgets to set this and It's just a good habit. and you can bork the system.

Two schools, an I'm in the other one ;) 'Sides the OP did cite a Mandrake rpm. More important to me would be direct newbies to always use Mandrake rpms, src.rpms included, to procure wanted apps or dependencies. More over to disdain corrupting their systems with anything 3rd party (includin drivers an apps, rpms or tarballs). Build as user all you want, but if you install closed source binary only taints on it, the precaution to only build rpms (or tarballs for that matter) as user is sort'a moot, borderin on ridiculous.

   Another example;

 'rpm --rebuild --target athlon kdeutils-3.2.3-28.3.101mdk.src.rpm'

will compile the rpms, athlon optimized, and place them in
   /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/

This is cool, and might be fun to experiment to see if this has any effect on your system.

IME, no. But when I ocaisionally do build from source, I include athlon opts just for grins. Mostly kernels (as in 2.6.11-2mdkK74, compiled for athlon, preempt, 4gig ram support). I used Mdk's kernel-source rpm an changed the .config, mostly to gain preempt and support for 1gig of ram. An then only 'cause such a kernel wasn't avaible from Mandrake, pre-compiled.

      The src.rpm will build _all_ the rpms contained in the
src.rpm.  So if you only want to upgrade only kdeutils rpms you
already have installed, cd to one of the above directories and use

Just one small point about your use of terminology in order to clarify, you are compiling the source and building the rpm packages as they are specified in the src.rpm's spec file, not releasing already built things packaged together. It kind of sounds like they are being hatched instead of built the way you described it :)

'hatched'? not sure what you mean Greg. The 'F' switch in 'rpm -Fvh' will only upgrade existing packages on the system, not all packages included in the src.rpm. Good example would be 'xorg' which would create more than a dozen packages, but only about 7 of which are used on my system.

--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas