James Henry Maiewski wrote:

Hello,

I lost count of the number of times my blind experimentation (along with sheer stupidity (like the time I uninstalled the package installer DOH!). Do not be afraid of this. However, the best advice I ever got on this list was to mount your /home directory on a seperate partition. When (If!) you need to reinstall, only install the /root on the root partition, thus saving all your personal files.

This isn't as technical as it sounds, but I would defer to someone better schooled in these matters to step you through it.

- JHM

PS: you might want to leave the "reply to address" blanc on your mail client (Kmail, etc). It makes it easier for people to simple "reply" to you.