On Friday 01 Apr 2005 13:52, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I do not have a dvd player, but I have heard that it is possible to
> use the computer dvd recorder to play dvd movies. Could somebody here
> please give me some directions?

You can indeed.  However, commercial dvds are encoded, and thanks to the legal
implications Mandrake cannot give you the packages you need.  PLF supply
Mandrake packages to deal with this situation.  So -

1) Go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and follow the instructions there to make sure you
have a plf source - while you are there it would pay you to grab one source
from each of the sections listed.  A long chain of commands will be given to
you to paste into a root console.  It does take a while for that to complete,
so be patient until it has finished.  Using urpmi from the command line or
Software Installer as a gui will now give you a whole raft of possibilities
you didn't have before.

2) If you have xine installed, uninstall it.

3) Get the xine packages from the plf site - if you use Software Installer
make sure you have enabled Maximum Information.  You also need decss and any
codecs you can find, to give you maximum flexibility.  Install them in the
usual way and you should be fine.

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels