On Monday 04 April 2005 22:24, Isak Lyberth wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> >On Monday 04 April 2005 22:48, Isak Lyberth wrote:
> >>I have a computer where the graphics card is not supported by Xorg.
> >>This anoys me to a great extend as i now have to use some other way of
> >>administrating the server. What means do i have?
> >>(the server is a Fujitsu-Siemens Econel 50 Primergy server, with some
> >>new onboard graphics chipset. It has a PCI Express card which i do not
> >>intend to use. I might go looking for a PCI graphics card, but untill i
> >>find one i need to fix things through some other tool, what to use?
> >>
> >>Regards Isak
> >
> >Use framebuffer i.e. "fbdev" as a driver...that should work for "almost"
> > all cards....what is the card, anyway?
> >
> >If all fails (how did you install?) try using another box and connect with
> >that using ssh (mandrake has X forwarding enabled by default) and start
> > your gui app remotely.
> I have not found out what card it is, maybe someone else here knows
> which it is?
> it is anoying as the installation was the graphical one, and it looked
> fine. regards

Whatever it is your graphics card is almost certainly supported.
I assume when you boot it is coming up with a text login prompt?

If so log in as root user and enter
XFdrake
You will see a text based GUI to set up your graphics card.
select 'Graphics card'  (Tab key moves between fields)
The card that was autodetected will be the first shown, but if that is not
working for you scroll down to the 'Xorg' section (space bar expands the
menu) select the 'vesa' driver. That  driver will work with just about every
graphics card in existence.  (The vga driver should also work)
You will also need to set the screen resolution to one supported. Pick a
conservative resolution initially (800x600) you can always change it later
once you are working.

When you are done reboot with
shutdown -r now

derek