Joe Mecklin wrote:
from your description it would appear you have a grounding problem
with your pc, or a defective hard drive.  the electric flash as you
plug it in (before the system can recognize/initialize it) should not
be a control signal per se, but rather is likely extraneous current
that improper grounding is letting reach circuitry it shouldn't.
that is possible.
do you connect the case of your PC to the power unit ?
could the grounding problem be on the side of the harddisk enclosure ?
i really don't understand these simple electrical issues.

kind regards     philippe