On Wednesday 06 April 2005 01:10 pm, Philippe Landau wrote:
> Miark wrote:
> > Try connecting the USB cable _before_ you plug in the external
> > drive's power supply.
>
> thanks a lot for all the expertly advice, Joe, Mikkel, Miark and jdow.
> it looks like the external case is leaking power to USB,
> because it happens even when its power switch is off,
> but so far not when i disconnect it from electricity.
> i will visit my electrician friend and see what he can measure :-)
Tell him to look for ground loops
Take a multimeter set it on voltage with the mouse unplugged measure between
the computer and the external drive case to case if there is *ANY* voltage
potential between the two you have an improperly wired power supply most
likely on the external drive
Get this fixed asap it is dangerous