Aron Smith wrote:
On Wednesday 06 April 2005 01:10 pm, Philippe Landau wrote:
Miark wrote:
Try connecting the USB cable _before_ you plug in the external
drive's power supply.

thanks a lot for all the expertly advice, Joe, Mikkel, Miark and jdow. it looks like the external case is leaking power to USB, because it happens even when its power switch is off, but so far not when i disconnect it from electricity. i will visit my electrician friend and see what he can measure :-)

Tell him to look for ground loops
Take a multimeter set it on voltage with the mouse unplugged measure between the computer and the external drive case to case if there is *ANY* voltage potential between the two you have an improperly wired power supply most likely on the external drive
Get this fixed asap it is dangerous
that was excellent advice, thank you, Aron and the other helpers.
my friend measured voltage flowing through usb to the ground
while the harddisk case was connected but off.
i was disappointed to have to pressure the large dealer
to let me buy a replacement
(a different, slightly more expensive model:
maxtor onetouch 2, heavy, unpolished sharp edge, fanless, quiet);
he only wanted to ship the case to the manufacturer for repair ...
i cited the experts from the mandrake list and succeeded :-)

kind regards     philippe