Paul Kaplan wrote:
On Saturday 09 April 2005 06:29 pm, SnapafunFrank wrote:

Hi ~ the following is in reference to Acrobat Reader only.

I have been reading about Acrobat5 and Acrobat7 and am looking at
installing the later.

I understand that I need to remove all of Acrobat5 and that is OK by me.
The README advises: "To uninstall Acrobat Reader 5.0.9, simply delete
the directory where it was installed."
However, in doing a search :

# slocate acro

I have found that it is spread through quite a number of directories.

Though I am prepared to track them down and remove them all individually
I was wondering if there is a way to use the " rm " command to search
and remove them all at one time ?

And even better ~ if there was a way to check everything " rm " wanted
to remove first without having to say " Y " to every file one by one ?

Still, this is only a thought and not essential but if you know then
please share.

TIA

Wouldn't a pipe do the trick?  As in:

locate <string> | rm <string>

I suspect I don't have the syntax correct so you might want to test it a little before you blame me for hosing your system.
Paul

I don't think you can use a pipe, as the rm command is not expecting file names from standard in. You could probably do something like:

for i in $(locate <string> ; do rm "$i" ; done

or

for i in $(locate <string> ; do rm -i "$i" ; done

or

for i in $(locate <string> ; do rm -f "$i" ; done

Use at your own risk...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!