On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Jesus Roncero wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:43:05 -0700 (MST), Axalon Bloodstone wrote:
>
> >> there any way I could boot from the HD, from the lilo I have in the HD
> >> rather than using the 3.5" disk?. (I wouldn't like to change the
> >> partitions).
> >
> >Nope not going to happen, you could get away with useing loadlin but nt
> >doesn't have dos mode. You need a /boot partition somewhere in that 1024,
> >or you'll have to keep useing the bootdisk.
>
> Ok, so you mean a small partition for the /boot directory and another
> partition for the rest of the installation, isn't it?
> So, how long should that /boot partition be?
> Is there any specific howto for this topic?

Correct two partitions, one is / the other /boot, size is a matter of
preference. A 10meg /boot is more than enough for most, it just needs to
hold one or two kernels (mine has 5 on it, and is 6.1M used)

> >Did you update the bootdisk after doing it? if so try vga=ask let it scan
> >pick your choice if it works replace the =ask with it. If you haven't
> >updated the disk alter the boot= line to point at the floppy.
>
> No, and I don't know how to do it. I know how to edit that file, but no
> clue what to do next. Could you tell me?

I already did, but we'll make this easier. setup your vga= (because you
know howto do this apparently), then run "lilo -b /dev/fd0" to reinstall
lilo onto the floppy. Note you can type the vga= on the lilo line to test.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon