On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> There is endless talk on Linux forums about the fear of fragmentation.
> Some say it's true. Others say it ain't true.
> Yet, the bottom line remains that right now you can't (or shouldn't)
> install a debian package or even a susu rpm on Red Hat or Mandrake

I've not heard this, i do it all the time

> (where the option to install Debian packages under Package Manager is
> clearly there but, we are told, we shouldn't do it). And vice-versa. And

it may appear there but it isn't, it is a failing of kpackage to not hide
the other package managers.

> we haven't even mentioned Corel and other distros such as Stampede. Are
> we kidding ourselves? Can you speak of real interoperatibility when one
> major distro (RedHat, Mandrake, etc.) cannot install the packages of
> another major distro (Debian, Corel, etc.). In fact, we are told that we
> should even try to avoid installing Red Hat rpms on Mandrake, if

We never said "don't", we just recommend recompileing them. (personaly, i
don't like hearing "well i installed blah, and it wanted foo and bar",
well no s**t brainiac)

> possible. Just where does incompatibility begin and end?

lib versions, some minor fs crap.

> How can this be tolerated? Or rather how can Linux tolerate this and
> still talk about interoperatibility of distros? And what does the future
> hold?

How can what be tolerated, Surely you don't suggest someone impeat on my
right of choice? Because "Linux" is nothing but a kernel (and userbase),
and that does not change no matter what distribution you favor. More of
the same we should all hope.

> Worried.
>
> Benjamin
>
> dep wrote:
>
> >corel is based of debian, which uses .deb files. caldera uses rpms. there are
> > utilities that allow the use of rpms on debian systems as well, but one should
> > tread carefully, because the debian file stricture is subtly but critically
> > different from a number of other distributions. i believe slackware joins
> > debian in this regard; i know one other distro does, but i'm not certain which
> > one, though slackware comes to mind.

Mainly to the extent of the boot proccess which is about the biggest
difference between all the distributions.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon