OK, Glenn,
We'll get you through this. First go back and read everything you
received in this thread.
>From reading just what you have said it seems strange linux set
up dos to be the default because usually its the other way around.
But let's assume that is true. You may still have lilo set up you just
need to intervene. Are you saying you don't see the word LILO
just before you boot into dos? If you DO see  LILO then hit tab
and you will see your options. If you don't see LILO then you
need to do what I said in the first place.
But you don't need to go into Disk Druid because you only need
to fake an UPGRADE not do an install.
You will be allowed to edit the area where you saw the * by dos.
You won't be able to change that at this point but you can tell
it what your root partition is on your linux setup and give it a
name (label) which will show up when you hit tab key when you
see the word LILO during boot-up. You have about 10 seconds
to type in linux ( or what ever you used as label).  If you just
look at it  it will boot the default.
Your other option is to make a linux boot disk directly from the
cdrom. You can do this be letting dos boot to the dos prompt,
not windows. Then access your cd-rom to make the boot disk.
Actually, I haven't needed to do that. I just make 'm like I
explained before.
This is the easy part. Wait til you get in a little deeper. I'll be
a newbie for months to come :-)
**This is important** almost slipped by me. Check how many
cylinders your hard drive is set up with in your bios if you haven't
already. Your linux root or (boot) partition if you have a separate
/boot partition (and so far you don't) must be under the 1024th
cylinder. By under I mean less than. If that is the problem and
you have a modern motherboard and bios you may be able
to pick a different CHS to satisfy this requirment. If not you
will have to create at least a /boot partition up near the start
of the drive. I you have Partition Magic this is not too hard to
move partitions around.
Get back with us.
Larry