On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, Josh McCaffrey wrote:

> John Aldrich wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 31 Dec 1999, you wrote:
> > > I'm shopping around for a good card to run under L-M 6.1.  Is it a bad
> > > idea for me to just look at what chipset the card uses and amount of
> > > ram?  I'm looking at NVidia Riva TNT cards w/ 8-16mb's.  Could
> > > I expect any of these various cards to be supported even if the
> > > drivers are only for Windoze?  I'm not a big gamer, but I expect my
> > > sys performance would increase noticably upgrading from 2mb to 16mb.
> > > Also, what cards use the Trident chipset?  I'm still looking....  I
> > > really like the one I've got, it's just a bit outdated.
> > >
> > The Riva TNT *is* supported well under both Linux and
> > Windoze. At this time, though, you can only expect hw
> > acceleration under Windoze with this card.
> >         John
>
> Hmmm, any supported cards that acceleration *is* supported, or is it
> something I shouldn't really worry about?  I'm just looking for a good PCI
> card in the $50-150 US range.  I think one card I was looking at (STB
> Velocity 4400) supported Direct 3D and OpenGL.  Thanks!
> -Josh

3dfx, tnt, rage, and mga all have drivers rangeing from very closed source
to GPL.

The two top performers are the mga (g400max), and 3dfx. and just happen
tobe the two extreams for licenses too. I think the g400 was a little
ahead in the last bench marks i saw, but i've no clue what the 3dfx was
running under either. The rage cards run under the mach64 accelerated
server from XFree86, but the 32 megs on the g400 IMO picks up the
slack. The rage cards glx driver is a bit faster than the tnt.

--
MandrakeSoft          http://www.mandrakesoft.com/
                                        --Axalon