Seth Gibson wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Josh McCaffrey wrote:
> > desired results.  There has never been any intention to make Linux perform
> > well for everybody straight out of the box.
> Tho i think we are seeing that change more and more with Things like lizard and
> such. . .me personally, when i installed mdk the first time it worked great. .
> .of course alot of my hardware is so old, linux was probably very happy with my
> machine(:-D

Yeah, me, too!  If I did have W98 on my box, I'm sure I would see a real drag in
performance.  I have not built a new kernel yet due to time constraints, and the
fact that L-M 6.1 has performed very nicely for me out of the box.  I'm sure that
when I do trim down the stock kernel that I could free up some memory.  On that
note, I started recompiling the kernel a couple of times, and each time it failed
(I forget why) after choosing to save the new kernel, so in /usr/src   there are
"linux-2.2.13" and "linux-2.2.13.old" folders, and the 2 files generated by make
menuconfig (one is .old)
So should I delete these extra files and start again from the beginning?
Thanks!
-Josh