On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:03:45 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

>A common newbie dilemma is "Where do I turn for help?"  Instead of calling
>his/her question "stupid," it would be much more productive if we pointed
>this person in the right direction toward the answer.

Nice answer.   And this has been done before,  And it is not unusual
to see that person get flamed for doing just what you said do.  I have
seen folks tell the newbies, "check the list archives", for
example..."your answer is there", and then get flamed by that newbie
and others for daring to tell them to check somewhere else for their
answer, and not just giving them a detailed 2 page answer.

Its not hard to do a search of the list archives.  The suggestion for
every member to do just that is right there when they sign on to the
list.

Also members of the list at various times are told to check certain
faqs, guides, or other sources for their answer.   And will then
recieve a reply like, for example.."Possibly people got tired of,
--------------, and being told to check the archives when it would be
just as easy to answer the question?."

And it doesnt matter how nicely the list member is told to check
another source, many times, just the suggestion is taken as an insult.
The result?   One or more pissed off newbies and maybe an semi-expert
who has helped many newbies who decides to ignore anymore requests for
help from the newbie list.

No...the questions themselves arent stupid, but maybe the people
asking them are too lazy to try to find an answer for themselves.