Hi Warren,

Ive just been going thru my hardware info to see if I can get more info on
my soundcard or integrated sound info.  I got from Sandra99.  Can you help
in any way with this info on how I can get the sound working having tried
the other suggestions?

regards
Gina

Wave Input and Output Devices = SoundMAX Digital Audio
Manufacturer = Microsoft v5

MIDI Input Device  = Roland MPU-401
Manufacturer = Microsoft v4

Mixer Device = SoundMAX Digital Audio
Manufacturer = Microsoft v5

IRQ settings:
5 = MPU401 Compatible
9 = SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

DMA settings:
2 = Standard Floppy Disk Controller
4 = Direct Memory access controller

Other info - Complete Sound report:

***** SiSoft Sandra Professional for Windows Version 99.3.5.0 *****
Product Licensed to Gina Matthews at PC at Home
Report done by Gina
System-Run ID: 1183-11886
Report done on Wednesday, 26 January 2000 at 03:13: pm
-------------------

<<< Comments >>>
-------------------

-------------------
Soundcard REport

<<< Sound Card Information >>>
-------------------

<< Wave Input Devices (Recording) >>
<< SoundMAX Digital Audio (1) >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          SoundMAX Digital Audio (1)
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              5.00
    Product ID:                           101 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                16-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                44.1kHz
    Channels:                             Stereo

<< Game Compatible Device >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Game Compatible Device
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           90 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                8-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                11.025kHz
    Channels:                             Mono

<< Voice Modem Wave #00 Line >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Voice Modem Wave #00 Line
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           80 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                8-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                11.025kHz
    Channels:                             Mono

<< Microsoft Sound Mapper >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Microsoft Sound Mapper
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.03
    Product ID:                           2 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                16-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                44.1kHz
    Channels:                             Stereo

<< Wave Output Devices (Playback) >>
<< SoundMAX Digital Audio (1) >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          SoundMAX Digital Audio (1)
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              5.00
    Product ID:                           100 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                16-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                44.1kHz
    Channels:                             Stereo

  < Device Capabilities >
    Pitch Control:                        No
    Playback Rate Control:                No
    Synchronous Operation:                No
    Sample Accurate Position Information: Yes
    DirectSound Certified:                No
    Volume Control:                       Yes
    Balance Control:                      Yes

<< Game Compatible Device >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Game Compatible Device
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           89 / 1

  < Specific Wave Information >
    Maximum Sampling Bits:                8-bit
    Maximum Sampling Rate:                11.025kHz
    Channels:                             Mono

  < Device Capabilities >
    Pitch Control:                        No
    Playback Rate Control:                No
    Synchronous Operation:                No
    Sample Accurate Position Information: No
    DirectSound Certified:                No
    Volume Control:                       No

<< Voice Modem Wave #00 Line >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Voice Modem Wave #00 Line
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           81 / 1

[...]

<< MIDI Input Devices (Control) >>
<< Roland MPU-401 >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Roland MPU-401
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           11 / 1

<< MIDI Output Devices (Playback) >>
<< Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              5.00
    Product ID:                           102 / 1

  < Specific Synthesizer Information >
    MIDI Device Type:                     Special Device
    Synthesizer Voices:                   32
    Synthesizer Notes:                    32
    Channels Supported:                   16
    Channels Supported Mask:              FFFFh

  < Device Capabilities >
    Patch Caching:                        No
    Stream Support:                       No
    Volume Control:                       Yes
    Balance Control:                      Yes

<< Roland MPU-401 >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          Roland MPU-401
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           10 / 1

  < Specific Synthesizer Information >
    MIDI Device Type:                     MIDI Port
    Channels Supported:                   16
    Channels Supported Mask:              FFFFh

  < Device Capabilities >
    Patch Caching:                        No
    Stream Support:                       No
    Volume Control:                       No

<< MIDI Mapper >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          MIDI Mapper
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              4.00
    Product ID:                           1 / 1

  < Specific Synthesizer Information >
    MIDI Device Type:                     MIDI Mapper
    Channels Supported:                   16
    Channels Supported Mask:              FFFFh

  < Device Capabilities >
    Patch Caching:                        No
    Stream Support:                       Yes
    Volume Control:                       Yes
    Balance Control:                      Yes

<< Mixer Devices (Mixing) >>
<< SoundMAX Digital Audio (1) >>
  < General Device Information >
    Device Name:                          SoundMAX Digital Audio (1)
    Manufacturer:                         Microsoft
    Version:                              5.00
    Product ID:                           104 / 1

  < Volume Control Line >
    Component Type:                       Speakers  (Destination)
    Channels:                             Stereo
    Line is Active:                       Yes
    Line is Disconnected:                 No
    Source Line:                          No

  < Recording Control Line >
    Component Type:                       Wave Input  (Destination)
    Channels:                             Mono
    Line is Active:                       Yes
    Line is Disconnected:                 No
    Source Line:                          No

<<< Hardware IRQ Settings >>>
-------------------

    0:          System timer
    1:          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2:          Programmable interrupt controller
    3:          Communications Port (COM2)
    4:          Communications Port (COM1)
    5:          MPU-401 Compatible
    6:          Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7:          Printer Port (LPT1)
    8:          System CMOS/real time clock
    9:          IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    9:          SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    10:         Intel(r) 82801AB USB Universal Host Controller
    10:         IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11:         Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver
    11:         IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11:         Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI Modem
    11:         Rockwell PCI Modem Enumerator
    12:         PS2 Scroll Mouse V1.20
    13:         Numeric data processor
    14:         Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    14:         Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15:         Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    15:         Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

<<< DMA Settings >>>
-------------------

    2:          Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    4:          Direct memory access controller

<<< I/O Settings >>>
-------------------

    0000 - 000F:        Direct memory access controller
    0020 - 0021:        Programmable interrupt controller
    0040 - 0043:        System timer
    0060 - 0060:        Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    0061 - 0061:        System speaker
    0064 - 0064:        Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    0070 - 0071:        System CMOS/real time clock
    0081 - 0083:        Direct memory access controller
    0087 - 0087:        Direct memory access controller
    0089 - 008B:        Direct memory access controller
    008F - 0091:        Direct memory access controller
    00A0 - 00A1:        Programmable interrupt controller
    00C0 - 00DF:        Direct memory access controller
    00F0 - 00FF:        Numeric data processor
    0170 - 0177:        Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    0170 - 0177:        Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    01F0 - 01F7:        Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    01F0 - 01F7:        Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    0200 - 0200:        Gameport Joystick
    0201 - 0207:        Gameport Joystick
    0290 - 029F:        PCI bus
    02F8 - 02FF:        Communications Port (COM2)
    0330 - 0333:        MPU-401 Compatible
    0376 - 0376:        Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    0376 - 0376:        Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    0378 - 037F:        Printer Port (LPT1)
    03B0 - 03BB:        Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver
    03C0 - 03DF:        Intel(R) 810 Chipset Graphics Driver
    03E8 - 03EF:        Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax RTAD PCI Modem
    03F0 - 03F1:        Motherboard resources
    03F2 - 03F5:        Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    03F6 - 03F6:        Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    03F6 - 03F6:        Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    03F8 - 03FF:        Communications Port (COM1)
    0480 - 048F:        PCI bus
    04D0 - 04D1:        PCI bus
    0778 - 077B:        Printer Port (LPT1)
    0CF8 - 0CFF:        PCI bus
    4000 - 40F7:        PCI bus
    5000 - 501F:        PCI bus
    D000 - D007:        Rockwell PCI Modem Enumerator
    D000 - DFFF:        Intel(r) 82801AB PCI Bridge
    E000 - E01F:        Intel(r) 82801AB USB Universal Host Controller
    E800 - E8FF:        SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    EC00 - EC3F:        SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    F000 - F007:        Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    F000 - F00F:        Intel(r) 82801AB Ultra ATA Controller
    F008 - F00F:        Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

*****  End of Report - Report created successfully  *****

Im not familiar with hardware issues but,
Im hoping that even though the report says "Manufacturer = Microsoft" that
that is ONLY because Im using the Windows 98 drivers.