DHCP under linux for internet connection via a cable modem is cable under
linux. I know a few users of RH, Debian, Slakcware and yes LM that use
DHCP (dhcpd or pump) to connect to thier cable modem ISP.
I myself have a dual homed (two nics) linux box running LM with my eth0
being the primary connection to the internet via a cable modem (motorola,
roadrunner service)

things to check:
ifconfig (do you see an eth0?)
ps -ef | grep dhcp do you see an entry like:
root       283     1  0 17:41 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/dhcpcd eth0 -h
localhost.localdomain

check you /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
does it contain an entry like:
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

also, what give us some info regarding your card..
what chip does it use? (rtl8139? tulip? etc...) what type of card is it?

I am almost positive that we can assist you in getting up and running via
DHCP.

Regards,
Ron