The command is "ls --color=auto". I personally use the bash shell
so I put a line in my .bashrc like this:
        alias ls 'ls --color=auto'
I think that something similar maybe done with the tcsh shell. Also if
you want to change the default colours you may change the settings at the
/etc/DIR_COLORS file (follow the instructions included, you can also add
more file extensions).

                        Stylianos Koutrakis
                        Department of Geophysics
                        School of Geology