FYI... I just did a quick search to see what the actual speed on a T3 is,
and found these stats.
I do agree that it really depends on your ISP, distance from the ISP and you
individual PCs, and the package you buy, but...

Cable Modem 30 Mbps (down)
ADSL Modems 1-9 Mbps (down)
T-1 1.54 Mbps
T-3 44.7 Mbps

so cable modems are much closer (in ability) to a T3 than dsl.

My cable modem is supposed to be capped at 512kbs (bits not bytes) up and
down, but when I DLed RedHat two days ago I got an average of 3.09Mbs. I got
the entire file (just under) 650 megabytes in 36 minutes.

zach

> Well you heard very, very wrong. Cable modems are 1.5megs tops, and you
don`t
> even get that. You must be thinking of a T3, because cablem modems *dont*
do
> 100mps. My in-house LAN is 100mps, but thats a LAN, and i dont even get
100mps
> on that. Sorry to burst your bubble, but with cable you`ll get around 5k
> about 600kps....not 100mps. ah yeah BTW, my DSL line can smoke cable
modems
> too. It all depends on the server you are d/l`ing from, and what kind of
DSL