If I don't need Java or security, I use KFM.  It's extremely quick and
lightweight.  I end up using NS when I need Java or security (be sure to
adjust the fonts or it is very UGLY).

The Linux community shares your thoughts and is working on some browsers
that look very promising:
Mozilla (ie. Netscape 5)
Konqueror (a KDE browser that will implement Java and security as well as be
a file browser among other things)

Read about them on the internet.

HTH,
Matt