Not sure if we're on the same page here; to be more clear, the empty space was
just that - it wasn't actually assigned to any Windows partition. But the
cylinders it occupied were between a Windows 'D' and "E' partitons that were
part of an extended Windows partition. Is this not a good idea? It worked fine
for Corel Linux installs (of which I did many). But DiskDrake did something
nasty...