Xconfigurator or xf86config should fix the display problem. To exit either
kde or gnome, you click on the "logout" button which looks like a padlock
under kde and, I believe, is under the "foot" menu in gnome and is labeled
simply "log out" or something of the sort.
To reboot your computer, you exit X and run 'shutdown' (minus quotes) from
the command line. shutdown -r will restart and shutdown -h will turn off
the computer. If you have insuficient priviledges to do this under your
user account (which I think you can't), you'll have to log out and log
back in as root to shut down or restart.

Hope this helps.

DvB