Alan Pitts wrote:

> Would someone also be kind enough to tell me the correct way to close down,
> exit linux from either kde and/or gnome so that I can reboot into windows.

Sorry, can't help you with the screen problem, but many people here can!

If you will log out of kde or gnome (hit the X on the panel or choose it from
the main K or Gnome menu), you'll come back to the login screen, where there is
a shutdown button.  When you choose it, you'll get the choice to shut down or
reboot.  Naturally, you can shut down from there (wait for the message that the
system is halted before you turn off the power).

If you want to reboot, you need to watch the reboot process.  As your computer
boots, you'll get the line "LILO:"  When that appears, you have something like 5
seconds to hit the tab button.  If you do nothing, the computer will
automatically boot into Linux.  When you hit tab, you'll see 2 words, (Linux
Dos;    Linux Windoze;  Linux   Win; etc.).  This is where you choose which
system to load.  Simply type in the word that designates your Windoze (for me,
it is "dos") and hit enter.  Then you'll boot into Win.   Now, I do believe
ctrl+alt+del will also reboot your system, but I haven't done it that way (yet).

Lance