Jake Pettengill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Jake and I bought your Maximum Linux magazine #1. I enjoyed
> the magazine but i have trouble installing the Linux Mandrake 6.0 in my
> computer (h.p) I have install it several times now, but failed to work. I'm
> don't familiar with Linux but I want to learn from it. I'm going to explain
> you what happens when I try to get in.
>
> 1- Turn on the computer and choose Linux
> 2- In my screen it appears The Penguin
> 3- and I'm asked for a login, wich I type jakepp (the one I typed in the
> installation)
> 4- then I type my password (333666) and i get this:
>
> Last login: Fri Jan 28 14:42:48 on tty1
> [jakepp@localhost jakepp]$
>
> After this it stays like this, i type "help" and it gives me a list,
> I also typed "Tab" key and it gives me another list.
>
> I am trying hard to get it to work but I think is time to ask for help
> from people who know, I also followed the 12 easy steps from the magazine
> and I also tryed to do it in Workstation and Custom but failed to do so.
>
> I would really appreciate if you can help, thank you!
>
>       Sincerely
>          Jake Pettengill

Congratulations!  Apparently you have gotten a good install (so
far).  What you are seeing is a command prompt, similar to the
msdos prompt you may be familiar w/ in M$ land.  You really need
to get a beginners book, like Linux in a Nutshell, or Running
Linux 3rd Ed from O'Reilly  Associates.  But in the meantime, try
the following:

'startx' should start your X Window session i.e. gui desktop,
assuming it was configured properly during install. If not, well,
you are about to have a much rougher intro to linux.  If you did
get a decent desktop to come up, click on an icon that looks like
a computer monitor, and you will be in a terminal (like an M$-DOS
window), and continue.

'cd /usr/doc/howto/'  , then 'dir' or 'ls | less' and press
'Space' after you are done reading each screenfull.  This is a
listing of all the HOWTO files on your system.  They may be
archived w/ a *gz extension, so log in as root, then return to
the same directory and type 'gunzip -r *', which will recursively
unpack everything at and below this directory.  Then type 'emacs
Unix-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO' and read it _all_.  If you get
tired and want to quit emacs, try Control-x Control-c.  Then read
'DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO', and if by now you are feeling a little
more comfortable, good.  Next time you fire up emacs, type
'Control-h t' for a tutorial on emacs.  Granted we put the cart
befor the horse here, but you didn't need to know much about
emacs to get this far.  Alternately, you could use emacs to read
the Emacs-Beginner-HOWTO.

Note that none of this requires a graphic desktop.  It all works
just fine w/o .  If you find emacs to be too much, try 'vi
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Vim-HOWTO' to try the vi editor.

Enjoy,

Monte Milanuk