JAMIL HUSSAIN wrote:

> i know i need my ISP DNS etc?? where do i get them from and where do i put
> them in mandrake

Hi Jamil,

very often the dns Adresses are mentioned in the faq-section for
ISP - customers.

So you would need to have a working system to read it. (winblows.:-).

Fortunatly, there is a way, to get things running without using
M$ Software,by using a M$-compatible feature of pppd :-).

If you use kppp (which is the the best for beginners):
In kppp setup, edit the pppd options for your provider.
Add "usepeerdns" (without the quotes).

Dial in with kppp.
Quit the connection,when pppd is up and running.
You should find the dns adresses in /etc/pppp/resolv.conf
Enter these adresses in kppp setup.
Be sure,the file /etc/resolv.conf exists and has permissions rw- r-- r--.
(This isn't a typo /etc/ppp/resolv.conf and /etc/resolv.conf are
different files)
Initially  /etc/resolv.conf may be empty. kppp will write the dns adresses to it,and
applications will read them from there.

If you dont use kppp, refer to http://www.mandrakeuser.org. You would need
winblows then to get online and to download it  ... :-).

HTH

Peter.

--
My humble homepage -- under construction
http://home.arcor-online.de/peter.heckert