On 07-Mar-2000 Victor Richardson wrote:
> I've been trying to get through X not working and finally had to do an
> ftp upgrade from the pub/linux/mandrake/current to reload the packages.
> Now when I do a "startx" the server attempts to run, then crashes. It
> recognizes my S3 Trio 3D chipset, but says there is no mode definition
> for "800 x 600":
>
>> SVGA: There is no mode definition named "800 x 600"
>> SVGA: Removing mode "800 x 600" from list of valid modes
>> SVGA: There is no mode definition named "600 x 400"
>>
>> Fatal server error:
>> No valid modes found.
>>
>> When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full
>> server
>> output, not just the last message.
>>
>> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>>

> My questions are; 1) How do I send the entire server output and who to?,
> 2)Any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> I've done the upgrade thing a few times with no luck. When I try
> "XF86Setup", it says "XF86Setup: command not found". Did the package not
> install and is there a way I can check? Or, is this just a problem with
> the S3 Trio 3D video? The system is an IBM Netfinity 3000 (PII 350, 128
> meg, 4 meg video, 9.1 gig SCSI -2) with a custom server install ftp'd
>>from the /linux/current directory.
>
> Sorry for so many questions, but I hope there is a simple answer.
>
> Victor

No, XF86Setup isn't installed by default, since the X server configuration
stuff is usually done during configuration. The package is:

XFree86-XF86Setup-3.3.6-4mdk.i586.rpm

Personally, I like the Xconfigurator better:

Xconfigurator-4.2.10-3mdk.i586.rpm

Install either of those and run them as 'root'. If you are a masochist, you can
also try the old xf86config console program right now ;-).

Regards

tom

--
"No fun, no gain"
Thomas 'tom' Berger, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (home), [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)