> I've been on this list for two days, and I've had to delete about 170 mail
messages thus far.
> Isn't there a nice newbie newsgroup somewhere, where there are threads you
can sort through and not hafta clutter up your mailbox?

You could subscribe to comp.os.linux.mandrake or comp.os.linux.help but they
are not specifically newbie groups. I find mail lists are easier to handle
than newsgroups. I don't know if chickmail will allow you to sort by
discussion but that is an option for you, perhaps. If you are on a free
provider you probably don't have access to a newsreader so my above
suggestions won't help unless you subscribe via deja.com or something.