For problems of this sort, try reading the man page for the program or
utility you're trying to use and don't seem to be able to get to work as
you want.

E.g.,

                % man shutdown

-h now is correct, but it's also important for newbies to be aware of
the man pages and knowing this can sometimes provide quicker answers
than asking in a mailing list.  Reading the man page on shutdown would
have given you the answer as quickly as it took for the initial question
to be written, let alone waiting for the reply.

mike