On the contrary, I've used quite a few 'xxx for dummies' books, and they
give you a great start on a topic in simple language (not everyone has a
computer science degree).  I do agree that O'Reilly books are great to.
Personally, I like to go down to the local Barnes & Noble (or
equivalent) and sit down in the Unix / Linux section and start sifting
through books.  What I've found is that seldom does one book cover
everything that you need to know; 'Running Linux' from O'Reilly is a
great book, but I also have Linux 6 unleashed from Sams, Linux in a
nutshell (also from O'Reilly) and a few others.  My advice is to decide
what you want to know about, then try to find the topic at the
bookstore.  I usually need to gleen info from a few different books
before I feel comfortable with the answer that I've come up with.

Mike Corbeil wrote:

> Dreja Julag wrote:
>
>> Can anyone direct me to any good books covering all areas of Linux,
>> including networking, maintenence, troubleshooting, history, using,
>> etc?  This would be very helpful.  I already have read Linux for
>> Dummies.  Howtos can end up being very dificult to read and there
>> are very few.  Thanks :)
>
> Books titled "xxx for dummies" tell you exactly what these books are,
> low quality.
>
> Try O'Reilly.  They have a web site and probably the most thorough
> coverage of Linux, Unix, X, and everything related, of any publisher.
>
> There's usually a fair sampling of their books at good bookstores and
> you can probably mail order over the web, or by phone, or just get the
> bookstore which carries any of their books to order books they don't
> have and you want.
>
> B&N usually gives around 30 days to check out the book and return if
> you don't want it, I believe.
>
> mike

The Penguins are coming!!!

Michael Holt